Stats

Thursday, September 5, 2019

South Florida Preview

The Clemson game was actually more or less what I expected, and I'm pretty happy with it.  We didn't play as well as I'd like on offense, but then again Clemson's defense is very disruptive.  But our defense looked pretty good in my opinion.  With the game "in doubt", in the first half, we allowed only 2 TD drives on 7 possessions (I'm discounting the two times that our offense/special teams gave the ball to Clemson at our own 10/15 yard line).  And both of those TDs were long plays.  We did not allow sustained drives, and I a pretty sure Clemson is a very good offense.  Even allowing for the week 1 "we are out of sync" etc... that's still pretty good.

We'll get to find out pretty quickly whether my suspicion is correct and our defense is much better.  South Florida is not a good offense.  We made them look very good last year, but really they are not terribly good on that side of the ball.  Actually, per the computers, they aren't very good on either side of the ball.  But I think they are better on defense than offense.  So we really should be able to get stops.  In particular, their offensive line is not very good.  We'll see if we can capitalize and get pressure on the QB.

On offense, I think we'll have a lot more fun this game.  Hard to glean too much from our offense versus Clemson.  Many have complained that we ran too much.  45 runs to 18 passes to be exact.  But I'd point out many of those "runs" were sacks or scrambles, but were called as pass plays.  Clemson's D line is hard to block.  I think it was probably close to 35 runs and 28 passes, maybe even more passes.  Let's see what the offense can do when we can block people.

Vegas has us favored by 6.5.  I actually think we cover that and possibly win by 14-17.  We'll see, but I still think we are better than anyone thinks we are.  I'm excited, and as always...

Let's go Jackets!

No comments:

Post a Comment