Stats

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Week 2 Picks

Every week I will pick all the ACC games against the spread, as well as the biggest national games of the weekend.

There will be three categories. “Free Money” are the games I feel the most confident about. “Solid bets” are next, and then “Toss-ups” are the ones that could go either way. I’ll keep track of how I am doing with a chart that I’ll update each week, so you readers can make fun of me for (probably) being sub .500 and correctly picking more “Toss-ups” than “Free Money” bets.

Last week I went 2 for 2 in Free Money, although both very close, which is not what is supposed to happen with “Free Money”.

I went 2 for 2 on my solid bets. Michigan covered easily, Boise St. made me sweat.

Alas, I went 0 for 2 on my toss ups, but then again, they are toss ups.

So far on the season:

Free Money

2 for 2

Solid Bets

2 for 2

Toss Ups

0 for 2

Here are this week’s picks.

Free Money:

Miami covers 9.5 against OSU. Too much speed on defense for Miami, and Tressel is too conservative on offense for OSU to really get a good margin going. I think in the end this game could go either way and will come down to the final minutes, but Miami will cover no problem.

N.C. State is a 3.5 point dog and they are going to win outright against UCF. You can take that to the bank.

Solid Bets:

Wake over Duke. Intriguing matchup here, that is if you like close football games that really don’t matter, but I think Duke finds a way to not cover.

Georgia Tech by more than 13.5 over Kansas. Not quite free money, but should be close to it.

FSU covers 8.5 at Oklahoma, although I think they lose.

Michigan covers 4.5 over Notre Dame. In fact I think they win outright. Both are good coaches, but Rich Rod is in year 3, not year 1. Sticking with Rich Rod.

Bama beats Penn St. by more than 11.5. This is close to a toss up, but I think Bama’s defense locks down Penn St. and they slowly pull away.

USC covers 19.5 against UVA. I know UVA looked better under London, and I know USC gave up a bunch of yards and points to Hawaii. But they had to travel to Hawaii. It is still UVA and Southern Cal still has a lot of talent.

Toss-Ups:

South Carolina over UGA by more than 2.5. On paper there are good arguments for why this should be a more confident pick, especially with a new QB for UGA and no A.J. Green, but I never bet strong on the Lame Flops.

Boston College beats Kent St. by more than 17.5. Toss Up? Hey they only beat Weber St. by 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment