Stats

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Week 3 Picks

Don’t worry, there will be a review of the Kansas game and a preview of UNC. I am working on both, but I am a little behind this week. They will both be up before midnight on Friday. I have not forgotten, nor given up on the season.

For now, on to week 3 picks.

Every week I will pick all the ACC games against the spread, as well as the biggest national games of the weekend.

There will be three categories. “Free Money” are the games I feel the most confident about. “Solid bets” are next, and then “Toss-ups” are the ones that could go either way. I’ll keep track of how I am doing with a chart that I’ll update each week, so you readers can make fun of me for (probably) being sub .500 and correctly picking more “Toss-ups” than “Free Money” bets.

Last week I went 1 for 2 in Free Money. You could in fact have taken that NC St. pick to the bank, but Jacory Harris (really his receivers who kept bobbling passes or inexplicably not knowing it was a pass play and run blocking) intercepted me right out of the other bet.

I went 3 for 6 on my solid bets. Thanks again to Michigan, and also Duke (who did find a way NOT to cover, I was right) and Bama who covered easily. GT, FSU and USC made me look like an idiot.

As expected by the name, I went 1 for 2 on the toss ups, with UGA making it easy for South Carolina to cover, but BC beat Kent St. by only 13.

So far on the season:

Free Money

3 for 4

Solid Bets

5 for 8

Toss Ups

1 for 4

Here are this week’s picks.

Free Money:

NC St. favored by 1.5 over Cincy at home. Take it the bank again this week.

Maryland is + 10.5 against West Virginia. The mountaineers are overrated, and Maryland is much better this year.

Stanford covers 16.5 over Wake. Wake is not this bad, but Stanford is pretty good and this game kicks off at 11:15 Eastern time. Tough break for Wake.

Solid Bets:

Texas over Texas Tech by more than 3.5. Not sold on Tuberville’s team yet, even if they are at home.

Iowa over Arizona by more than 1.5. Just don’t believe Arizona really is any good.

Toss-Ups:

UNC is a one half point favorite over GT. I’ll bite and take the Jackets. That worked so well for us last week.

Clemson is +6.5 at Auburn. I may be the only person not on the Auburn bandwagon yet, but I think Clemson covers and maybe even wins. And Clemson isn’t really that good.

FSU is an 8.5 point favorite over BYU. Anyone who saw their defense play last week is probably not going to pick the Noles here, and I won’t either.

VT favored by 17.5 over East Carolina. The Hokies will probably come out real irritated this week, and play well enough to cover, but I am gonna make them prove it to me. I am taking the Pirates.

Duke is +23.5 at home against Bama. I am taking the devils. No they aren’t that good, but they are ok, and I think Bammer will be put to sleep by the spring game feel to Duke’s stadium. Actually, spring game doesn’t do it justice, since 90,000 usually make it out to Alabama’s spring game. This is more like August two a days for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment