Stats

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Week 10 Picks

Every week I will pick all the ACC games against the spread, as well as the biggest national games of the weekend, and occasionally the UGA game, even though UGA games are unlikely to fit either of those two criteria.

There will be three categories. “Free Money” are the games I feel the most confident about. “Solid bets” are next, and then “Toss-ups” are the ones that could go either way. I’ll keep track of how I am doing with a chart that I’ll update each week, so you readers can make fun of me for (probably) being sub .500 and correctly picking more “Toss-ups” than “Free Money” bets.

This week:

Awful bad on free money. Clemson and Miami (WTF Miami?) cost me, and, well, I didn’t really expect UGA to beat UF. So the jinx worked at least. 0 for 3.

2-2 on solid bets. I’ll take that, especially considering I just went 0 for 3 on free money. Maryland and N.C. State covered for me, but Michigan St. was blown out, and Navy, oh Navy, what happened? Duke? Really?

1 for 2 on tossups. Mizzou got routed, but Oregon won easily.

So far on the season:

Free Money

14 for 30

Solid Bets

14 for 36

Toss Ups

14 for 26

Total

42 for 92

Not exactly impressive numbers there…

So let’s try to fix it. Here are this week’s picks.

Free Money:

Clearly, there just aren’t any free money games in the ACC. But I’m gonna keep at it, and guarantee, GUARANTEE, that UVA beats Duke by more than half a point.

Boston College beats Wake by a lot. Way more than 2.5. Take that to the bank. Wake can only run the ball, and BC has a great run defense. Plus Maryland just beat Wake by about 40. Take the Eagles.

South Carolina favored by 3.5 at home against Arkansas. The cocks tried to start their annual end of the season victory clearance sale (every potential victory must go!) last week, but Tennessee is Aw-Ful, so could not take advantage. It starts this week. Take the Razorbacks.

Solid Bets:

Virginia Tech is favored by 12.5 over us. I think we will come out of the bye week and play a good game. Maybe our best game of the season. That may or may not be good enough on a Thursday night in Blacksburg, but I do believe we will not lose by more than 12.5. Take the Jackets.

I believe in Griffin, the very, very fast QB for Baylor, so I am taking the bears to lose by less than 7.5 against Oklahoma St. (for the first time in recorded history*, both of these teams are ranked, so this actually is a big game).

North Carolina, 10.5 underdogs, at FSU. I think the Heels, even the depleted Heels, are good enough to keep it closer than that. Of course, that probably means FSU wins by 42 after the ACC wheel of destiny gets through destroying my picks.

Les Miles covers. Trust me, he has done something to win the favor of the gods. That is all. (6.5 point underdogs at home against Bama).

Toss-Ups:

No idea what to say about Clemson versus N.C. St. Clemson is favored by 3.5. I’m gonna say the tigers continue their fine play from last weekend and get beat. Go pack.

Miami is favored by 8.5 against Maryland. Obviously this depends on which Miami shows up. The Miami that played FSU and UVA will lose. The Miami that played Clemson and Pitt will win big. Let’s go with good Miami. Canes cover.

TCU and Utah should be a great one. TCU is on the road and favored by 4.5. I think the Frogs get it done, and win by more than that, but Utah will put up a good fight.

Don’t know why, but I think Stanford blows out Arizona. So they cover 9.5 (and that spread seemed high to me, so why am I picking it this way… who knows?)

*I completely made this up. My apologies to both universities if it is false. Which it probably is.

Nesbitt Jokes:

1 – Nobody knows Joshua Nesbitt’s 40 time. Whenever coaches try to time it, the stopwatch malfunctions and simply reads “0.1 seconds faster than the guy chasing him”.

2 – Nobody knows Joshua Nesbitt’s bench press max either. It is measurable, but the GT facilities simply don’t have enough weights.

No comments:

Post a Comment